Choose a day to view events
Ridge to Reef Rendezvous 2016
Join the Ridge to Reef Rendezvous on Saturday, August 6th, at Kahekili Beach Park (Old Airport Beach) in North Kāʻanapali. This fun family-friendly event is free and open to the public, and will be held from 9 am to noon. Arrive early to receive a free tshirt, plus other giveaways from conservation partners. This annual event marks the 7th year since the establishment of the Kahekili Herbivore Fisheries Management Area (KHFMA), and through the years has expanded to focus more broadly on watershed-scale conservation themes, the things that any Maui resident can do to help our coral reefs and fisheries, from both land and the ocean, mauka to makai.
When: Saturday, August 6th, 2016, 9 am - 12:00 pm
Where: Kahekili Beach Park (Old Airport Beach, Ka'anapali, 65 Kai Ala Dr, Lahaina, HI 96761), a site within the Kahekili Herbivore Fisheries Management Area
• Pono Fishing activities for keiki, with the Maui Nui Makai Network, NOAA Fisheries, and more...
• Ocean-Friendly Business recognition ceremony and media event, featuring the properties and landscapers with West Maui Kumuwai's Ocean-Friendly Landscaper & Property programs, Surfrider Foundation's Ocean-Friendly Restaurants, and Hawai'i Ecotourism Association's Sustainable Tour Operator certification program, emceed by West Maui County Council Member Elle Cochran...
• 15th Great Annual REEF Reef Environmental Education Foundation Fish Count with the Hawaii Fish Identification Network...
• Reef Tour of Kahekili Reef (guided and virtual tours both available!)...
• Scavenger Hunt, Finding Tory the Uhu (with great prizes!)...
• Ocean-Themed Culinary Contest...
• Sunscreen Sustainability Station: Is your sunscreen "in the Right Zone?" (and pick up a simple recipe to make your own sunscreen!)...
• Ridge to Reef Hui - info booths featuring Maui organizations and agencies (see below)...
• Bycatch Beach and outreach with Expand PMNM
• Food! Prizes! Giveways!
9:00 am: event check-in, culinary contest check-in, t-shirt giveaway
9:15 am: deadline to check in ocean-themed culinary contest* entries
9:30 am: REEF fish survey with Maui Fish Identification Network
9:45 am: Group Photo!
10:00 am: Bycatch Beach presentation
10:00 am: Reef Tour with R2R partners
10:45 am: Prizes awarded for Culinary Contest and Scavenger Hunt
11:00 am: Ocean-Friendly Business recognition and media ceremony
11:45 am: Lunch provided by CJ's Deli & Diner, Sangrita Grill, and the Westin Kāʻanapali Ocean Resort Villas
*Culinary contest details:
The culinary contest features any type of edible creation with an ocean theme. Entries must be checked in no later than 9:15 am. Judging by event-goers is based on appearance with prizes awarded based on scores. Following judging, culinary contest entries will be eaten, along with the generous donations of food for the event provided by CJ's Deli & Diner, Sangrita Grill, and the Westin Kāʻanapali Ocean Resort Villas.
Mahalo to event sponsors:
Hawaii Tourism Authority, Hawaii Department of Land and Natural Resources, Honua Kai West Maui Community Benefit Fund, and the Kā'anapali North Beach Masters Association.
Date: Saturday, August 6th, 2016
Time: 9:00 am to 12:00 pm
Kahekili Beach ParkKa'anapali, HI USA 96761
Island Area: West Maui